April is Pet First Aid Awareness Month and a great opportunity for Richmond Pet Lovers to brush up on tips from the American Red Cross to keep their animals safe and healthy as we head into spring and summer.
Here’s some tips to help keep your pet healthy from the American Red Cross:
- Give pets plenty of exercise.
- Make sure they have plenty of fresh, cool water.
- Make sure they get regular yearly checkups with their veterinarian, and are up to date on vaccines, especially rabies.
- Get pets spayed or neutered.
- Keep dogs on leashes outside – another animal may be too much temptation
Pet First Aid Courses are available from our local Virginia Capital Region American Red Cross on how to care for your pet. The Red Cross has also developed Dog First Aid and Cat First Aid Guides with DVDs that teach basic responsibilities like spaying/neutering and giving medications, to performing CPR and preparing for disasters. Call 804.780.2250 for more information.